Sunday, April 18, 2010

Super Easy Tomato Sauce


This sauce is easy...ridiculously easy...fantastically easy! I'm not even going to post a recipe because it's that easy. The ingredients are: 1 can of San Marzano Tomatoes (whole peeled--28oz) 1 stick of butter, and 1 onion cut in half (outer skin removed). You put these three elements in a dutch oven (or pan, whatever you have) and let them simmer for about 45 minutes or until the onion is nice and soft and you can mash the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.

For the final sauce you remove the onion (you use it for the onion juice) and you can puree the sauce or do as I did and just manually mash the tomatoes for a more rustic sauce. It has this lovely richness from the butter but it is flavorful and has depth; I don't know why something so simple tastes so great but it does.
Remi went and hid under the hamper while I was cooking; I called him for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out where he had gotten to...then I found him...little nose peeping out from under the hamper...dork!



I used a rustic noodle that would hold the sauce nicely...I had Parmesan at the ready to top it all but I liked the rich tomato flavor so much that I didn't even use the cheese. Anyhow, a great weeknight easy homemade (*cheap!) meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment