Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fresh Corn on the Cob



It is a universal thing; mid summer and beginning of fall bring a bounty of glorious produce. Corn and tomatoes are among the top favorites for Americans so we flock to the pile of fresh corn and heirloom tomatoes like they were gold.

Two weeks ago at the Farmer's Market I was a little overzealous with my corn purchase and ended up with thirteen ears!

I brought them home and used my super gigantic stock pot to soak the corn in water (I chose this route because I could fill the pot and stand the corn up vertically all at once and plop the lid on top to keep them all submerged. The All-Clad works great for this because the lid is substantial).

Dan was a bit perplexed when he came home; I usually only have five or six ears, so he had to be a bit creative and rotate them often to fit all of these on the grill. In the end he came through and roasted them to perfection.

I learned from many years of watching the Food Network that a bundt pan doubles nicely as a corn shucking vessel.

The pictured pan was purchased at the supermarket for next to nothing; I needed a good pan for monkey bread and HT was the only place open at the time I needed it!

It is fairly self explanatory once you discover the pan trick; just place the tip of the ear on the hole of the bundt and with a sharp knife slice the kernels off and they fall neatly in the pan.

If you were going to make a corn soup or chowder, I would "milk" the cob by running the back of my knife down the ear to get the corn juice for more of a creamed corn.

Dan and I have been using our corn abundance in salads and other recipes or just plain with butter, salt and pepper. You can freeze the cut corn in a freezer bag for up to three or four months to enjoy during the winter when fresh corn is no longer available.

No comments:

Post a Comment